Duty of care Melbourne East Basketball Association Domestic Competition incorporate heat rules as follows:
Junior Competition: Junior Competition: Lorraine Baxter (Junior Competition Manager) is solely responsible for making the decision to implement heat policy when the court temperature exceeds 32 degrees, or 30-32 degrees and more than 50% humidity at Nunawading Stadium.
The implementation of the heat policy will be across ALL VENUES regardless of the temperature at each individual venue and will be effective from the start of the first game implemented through to the end of the last game of the day.
Games are abandoned when the court temperature reaches 38 degrees AT THAT venue only. Lorraine Baxter (Competition Manager) must be contacted by the venue supervisor prior to games being abandoned.
Senior Competition: Each venue supervisor to make a decision to implement heat policy when the court temperature exceeds 32 degrees, or 30-32 degrees and more than 50% humidity at that venue.
Games abandoned when the court temperature reaches 38 degrees at that venue. Heat rules or abandonment of games will be applied across to each venue independently.
Effective from the start of each match where the above temperature and/or humidity is above the requirements for heat rules. In Senior Competition only, heat rules can be removed if the court temperatures and/or humidity drop below the required levels for heat rules.
Heat Timing Rules
- 4 x 8 minute quarters will be played
- 1 time out per team per quarter
- The clock does not stop during these timeouts
- 1 minute break at quarter (¼) and three quarter (¾ ) time
- 2 minute break at half time
- Team fouls remain calculated per half
- No time outs in the last 2 minutes of the first half
- Clock stops on all whistles in the last 2 minutes of the fourth 4th quarter
a. If a game is abandoned before it commences or before or at half time the match will be counted as a 2-2 draw.
b. If a game is abandoned after half time, the match score stands as a final result.
Be smart! Beat the heat!
- Drink plenty of water before, during and after playing sport.
- Be sure to warm up before and cool down after exercise
- Place yourself during the game
- Call substitutions frequently throughout the game