- 2023 TOURNAMENT REGISTRATION
10th – 12th June 2023
Due to an overwhelming demand in team registrations, the Nunawading Tournament is almost at capacity. As such team registrations will be closing at 8:00pm AEST 17 May 2023. Any team who misses the cutoff must contact Tournament Director Lyn Payet directly via 0401 156 204.
Victorian club contacts please accept the PlayHQ invitational link to add teams into the tournament.
Interstate club contacts and independent teams or clubs not registering teams on the team’s behalf please click the link to register.
If an association is making a bulk entry payment on behalf of several team please contact Nunawading stadium 03 9802 6711 for details.
Entry Fee – $495 per team
For reasons other than COVID
If you withdraw after the 21st May but before 28th May, you will receive a 50% refund.
If any team withdraws after 28th May there is no refund.
For COVID / Border closure reasons
Currently in Victoria basketball comes under Community sport guidelines with no restrictions on player vaccination.
Should the Nunawading Spectres Tournament be cancelled or unable to run due to COVID-19 restrictions in 2023, our COVID Money Back Guarantee will ensure a refund of all payments minus the PlayHQ gateway fee of 2.9%.
Interstate Teams: If you are required to return to your home state prior to the tournament commencing due to immediate border closure, our COVID Money Back Guarantee will ensure a refund of all payments minus the PlayHQ gateway fee of 2.9%.
If you are required to return to your home state due to immediate border closure whilst the tournament is on, determination of refunds, if any will be on a case by case basis.
- FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What competition should I put my team in?
With close to 700 teams expected to enter, we take great care to ensure the grading is as accurate as we can get.
We have used the following information to help you decide which division to select. Sections are subject to change depending on the number of entries. You may choose to challenge your team and request a grade outside these suggestions. These examples are just a guide. The more information we receive on entry forms, the easier the grading is to sort out. Indicate in the ‘ notes’ section of the entry if your team will be missing players for the tournament or looking for a challenge or losing every game during the season as an example.
Classic grade –- **Only available for those teams who have also entered for the National Junior Classic. –. We work very closely with the Classic organizers and will not finalize those entries until final details are received from Basketball Victoria. Teams who miss out on the final National Junior Classic selection and have entered our tournament will be moved into A grade for the Nunawading tournament. Teams entering the ‘ Classic’ grade do not need to pay entry at this stage and will be provided a voucher code on request from the Tournament Director. Full payment by teams who have not been selected in the National Junior Classic will be required within 24 hours of Classic non-selection or that team will be withdrawn from the Nunawading tournament.
– A grade – suits VC, high VJL 1, SA Div 1, NSW Premier League
– A Reserve grade – suits Lower VJL 1, Lower SA Div 1, NSW Div 1 and Qld Div 1. High A grade Domestic
– B grade – will be sorted into B1,2,3 & 4 grades and various pools depending on the amount and grade of entries. Suits VJL 2, 3 & 4. SA Div 2, high Div3. NSW Div 2,3. B Grade Domestic
– C grade – will be sorted into C1,2,3 & 4 grades and various pools depending on the amount and grade of entries. Suits VJL 5 – 10, SA & NSW lower Div 3, Div 4 as well as lower grade domestic teams.
If you require more information please call Lyn Payet Tournament Director on 0401 156 204 (best on Wednesday, Thursday Friday anytime or after business hours on Monday and Tuesday) or email email@example.com.
Our team may make Classic, what should I do?
Teams who have also entered for the Classic are invited to enter our tournament as a backstop Those teams must enter Classic grade). We understand that quite often airfares and accommodation have been booked in the hope of Classic selection. For those teams who do not make it we offer a very high level competition as an alternative.
How much is stadium entry?
Your team has paid an entry fee for the tournament and that fee covers the cost of the stadium entry for everyone. You can bring as many parents, supporters, coaching staff as you want and it will not cost you a cent for them to get in. You could help us by purchasing a raffle ticket but that’s only if you want to. It’s not compulsory.
What time does the tournament end on the Monday?
Grand finals will conclude by 3pm on the Monday. Interstate teams booking flights should book an evening flight to allow enough time to get to the airport.
How many games does each team play?
We guarantee a minimum of 5 games
When are the games played?
The tournament commences on the Saturday at 8:00am and concludes each night at 9:50pm. Semi Finals if required commence on the Sunday night or early Monday morning followed by Grand Finals on Monday.
I am a referee and would like to referee in the tournament, who should I contact?
We are always on the look-out for refs and interstate refs who may be coming over with family members. Just send us an email firstname.lastname@example.org and the Referee Supervisor will follow up.
We are a domestic club, can we enter the tournament?
Yes you can. Any teams that meet the age criteria may enter.
When will the fixture be released?
There are close to 700+ teams expected to be competing. To get it right we need time. It is a very large complex process which is not easy. Please do not hassle us, you will only be delaying its release. We anticipate to have the fixture available by 5:00pm Wednesday prior to the event. If it is any earlier we will contact you, if it is any later we will let you know.
I need to register an extra/my player, but didn’t receive a link. How do I do this?
When the team is registered the team organiser receives a confirmation email which contains a Player Participation link which can be forwarded to you and used to register the player to the team.
If you are the team organiser ensure you keep the participation link – you will need it.If you have lost your Player Participation link *as a last resort) please contact us via email so we can reissue it.
Team Organisers. When entering teams into the registration form please use the following examples
Nunawading Spectres U12 Girls 3 or Norths Bears U12 Boys Black or Norwood Flames Parker
We must have a team number or colour or coach name to correctly identify the teams.
What is the age criteria?
Our tournament has age groupings for Under 12, Under 14, Under 16 and Under 18 with various grades for each age group. Players are eligible to play in an “Under Age” grade provided they do not turn that age in 2023. e.g If a player turns 14 in 2023, they must play in the Under 16 competition
I’m an interstate team, do my players need to pay the Basketball Victoria License fee to play?
PlayHQ have given us access to a special tournament database and interstate players do not need to pay the Basketball Victoria Licence fee
I need to withdraw my team from the tournament and have paid my team entry. Do I receive a refund?
You will receive a full refund minus the PlayHQ payment gateway fee if you withdraw your team before the closing date. However if you withdraw your team after the closing date we will only return 50% of your team entry fee. If you withdraw your team from the competition after May 28 there will be no refund. When requesting a refund please be sure to send us an email with your team name, grade, your name and your bank account details so we can promptly send the money back to you.
- TOURNAMENT MERCHANDISE PRE-ORDER
Orders can be made at the time of team registration, individual registration or via the PlayHQ link below.
Pre-orders will close 11:55pm 30th April
Merchandise items will be available for purchase across the Tournament weekend at Nunawading Basketball Centre, Knox Stadium – Boronia, Mullum Mullum Stadium, Casey Stadium and Waverley Basketball Stadium.
Pre-Order Items Only
Pre-Order & Available at Tournament Venues (whilst stock lasts)
- ACCOMMODATION AT QUEST BURWOOD EAST
Book your accommodation for this years (and next) Nunawading Spectres Tournament weekend with our wonderful partners at Quest Burwood East and Quest Mont Albert.
Offering a range of accommodation styles to best suit your needs.
To access fixtures and results please follow the link below.
- ABRIDGED RULES
Nunawading Spectres Junior Basketball Tournament
Abridged Tournament Rules 2023
(A full set of rules is available at each venue)
- Under age as at 31st December in the year the Tournament is held – Club Representative to verify ages of Club Entries.
- Players are restricted to playing in one (1) age group only. The Tournament Committee shall in exceptional circumstances waive this condition if prior approval is applied for.
- Any number of players may be nominated to represent a Club in a particular team but only ten (10) players are able to play in any one game. This includes all finals games. .As per VJBL rules Under 18 competition may have twelve (12) players who are able to play in any one game
As per rule 13: In all minor games, a player who takes the court must be signed in if a scoresheet is used by marking ‘X in the ‘ player in ‘ column.or marked in as playing on stadium scoring.
- Players must play in at least two minor round games to qualify for Semi (if scheduled) and Grand Finals. The Tournament Committee shall in exceptional circumstances waive this condition if prior approval is applied for.
- TEAM QUALIFICATION – The Tournament Committee may limit participants in teams in a particular competition to non – championship players, or players who have gained exemption. Any player who is selected for the Melbourne Classic is not permitted to play in these competitions, playing of an undeclared championship player or disapproved player shall lead to forfeit of games concerned..
- Grand finals can be played on the Monday up to a 3.00 PM finish and no team will qualify for a
semi-final ( if held) if they are unable to play in the Grand Final. Please note you need to allow at least one & half hours prior to departure check in for any interstate flights after completion of the game and presentations.
- TIMING RULES/LADDERS:
- Two points will be given for a win, one for a loss, and none for a forfeit. Forfeit score will be 20-0.
- For minor games and lead up Finals (if held), the clock shall only stop during the last two minutes of the second half and this will be for all whistles.
- NO time outs are allowed in the last three minutes of the first half.
- Time outs are allowed during the last two minutes of the second half at which time the clock will stop.
- All minor games shall have two eighteen minute halves. Half time interval will be 2 minutes and time outs shall be of 1 minute duration maximum.
- Each team is allowed 1 time out per half for minor games and 2 time outs per half for finals.
Two points will be given for a win, one for a loss, and zero for a forfeit.
Draws will be played out until a winner is achieved
Minor rounds – If scores are level at the end of the game, an extra 2 minutes will be played after a one minute break, to achieve a result. All fouls stand. 1 time out for each team is allowed. Clock will stop for time outs in extra time as well as all whistles in the last minute..
If the teams are still tied at the end of the extra period of play, the clock will reset and the first team to score in the next extra period shall be the winner.
- GRAND FINALS
Grand Finals, shall have two twenty minute halves and the clock will stop for all time outs. As well, during the last two minutes of the second half, the clock will stop for all whistles.
If scores are level at the end of the game, an extra 3 minutes will be played after a one minute break, to achieve a result. All fouls stand. 1 time out for each team is allowed Clock will stop for time outs in extra time as well as all whistles in the last minute.
If the teams are still tied at the end of the extra period of play, the clock will reset and the first team to score in the next extra period shall be the winner.
If two teams finish on equal points then the results of the games played against each other ie. the win / loss record will decide their positions. (Head to Head) as per normal VJBL rules
Where three or more teams finish on equal points their order shall be determined by the “For and Against” percentage of the games played between the teams concerned
If two of the three teams finish on equal percentage, then the result of the games played
against each other ie. the win / loss record will decide their positions.
In a competition of 7 or more teams, where teams do not all play each other, the order will be determined by points first then overall percentage. If teams affected have played each other their order shall be determined by the “For and Against” percentage of the games played between the teams concerned. Where three or more teams finish on equal points and any have not played each other then percentage overall will be used.
In the case of disputes, the matter will be referred to the Disputes Chairperson.
- Except where specified, all matches will normally be played under current F.I.B.A. Rules.
SIZE 5 BALL – The size 5 ball will be used for all under 10 and 12 girls and boys teams
SIZE 6 BALL – The size 6 ball will be used for all Girls games, under 14 boys teams.
SIZE 7 BALL – The size 7 ball will be used for all under16 & 18 boys teams
12.There is NO 24 second shot clock for any games.
- 13. In all minor games, a player who takes the court must be signed in on the scoresheet by marking ‘X in the ‘ player in ‘ column, if scoresheets are used
- The first half shall begin with a jumpball. In all other jumpball situations, possession shall be given to the team as indicated by the possession arrow.
- All teams shall have a principal colour singlet and an alternate set available for use at the tournament. The priority of use shall be that the first named (home team) in a game in the fixture shall be entitled to wear their principal singlets. Game must still be played if the opposition does not have a spare set.
- The Tournament Disputes Committee will adjudicate all disputes. These may be reported by referees, coaches or club officials. A “Protest Form” is available from the “Tournament Operations Centre” Nunawading Stadium, and must be lodged with the “Centre” immediately.
- FIRST AID / AMBULANCE POLICY.
First Aid and/or medical treatment will be the responsibility of the individual concerned and/or the individuals parent/guardian or team supervisor. First Aid is not administered by staff at any tournament venue..
The nearest hospital to each stadium will be displayed at each stadium.
Where the request that an Ambulance is needed to take a player to hospital, the player will be responsible for any ambulance and hospital costs associated with treatment etc.
- All Stadiums used during this Tournament have a rule of “No swinging on rings or nets” and imposes an immediate ban from the stadium and immediate disqualification from all stadiums for the remainder of the Tournament.
- Playing numbers 00 – 99 are accepted.
- SCORING Home team ( 1st named) will usually do the clock and Away team will do the sheet. Scorers can work this out between themselves but if a dispute arises, this rule will enforced.
- ZONE DEFENCE – UNDER 12, 14 GAMES – Zone defence is discouraged in Under 12 and 14 games. Teams should use ‘ man to man ‘ defence throughout the games
- 3 Point line The Under 16 & 18 Age groups shall use the extended 3 point line (6.75m). The Under 12 & 14 age groups shall use the short 3 point line (6.25m)
- REGISTER TO REFEREE
Spectres Tournament – Stadium and Medical Directory
Check the venue information. This will be updated with more courts if we exceed our expected number of entries this year. All venues are within 30 minute travel distance from Nunawading Stadium.
Confirmed Venues for 2023
- Aqualink Box Hill
- Casey Stadium
- Forest Hill College
- Kilsyth Basketball Stadium
- Knox Basketball Stadium
- Knox School
- Donvale Indoor Sports Centre
- Mullauna College
- Mullum Mullum Stadium
- Nunawading Basketball Centre
- Rowville Secondary College
- The Rings
- Waverley Basketball Stadium
- Slater Reserve
- Fairhills High School
- Norwood Secondary College
- CONTACT US
Contact Name: Lyn Payet
Email Address: email@example.com
Phone number: 0401 156 204
- Senior Spectres
- Junior Spectres
- Nunawading Spectres Tournament – June 2023
- Sports Physiotherapy & Athletic Development
- U14 Nationals Hub