- 2022 TOURNAMENT REGISTRATION
11th – 13th June 2022
2022 Queen’s Birthday Tournament registrations is now open. Registrations will close 11:59pm AEST Sunday 22nd May 2022.
Victorian club contacts please accept the PlayHQ invitational link to add teams into the tournament.
Please note playing basketball in Victoria including any tournament held in Victoria players must now hold a valid Basketball Victoria License.
Interstate club contacts and independent teams or clubs not registering teams on the team’s behalf please click the link to register. Do not attempt to register players at this stage..
In order to have the Basketball Victoria License fee waived for interstate players we will provide you a discount voucher in early June and we will provide you with an individual team link for each team. Just pass the voucher and team link onto each player’s parents and they can create a PlayHQ account for themselves and self-register their child.
If an association is making a bulk entry payment on behalf of several team please contact Nunawading stadium 03 9802 6711 for details.
Entry Fee – $450 per team
For reasons other than COVID
If any team withdraws after 29th May there is no refund.
For COVID / Border closure reasons
Currently in Victoria basketball comes under Community sport guidelines with no restrictions on player vaccination.
Should the Queen’s Birthday Tournament be cancelled or unable to run due to COVID-19 restrictions in 2022, our COVID Money Back Guarantee will ensure a refund of all payments minus the PlayHQ gateway fee of 3.6%.
Interstate Teams: If you are required to return to your home state prior to the tournament commencing due to immediate border closure, our COVID Money Back Guarantee will ensure a refund of all payments minus the PlayHQ gateway fee of 3.6%.
If you are required to return to your home state due to immediate border closure whilst the tournament is on, determination of refunds, if any will be on a case by case basis.
- FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What competition should I put my team in?
With over 600 teams expected to enter, we take great care to ensure the grading is as accurate as we can get.
We have used the following information to help you decide which division to select. Sections are subject to change depending on the number of entries. You may choose to challenge your team and request a grade outside these suggestions. These examples are just a guide. The more information we receive on entry forms, the easier the grading is to sort out. Indicate in the ‘ notes’ section of the entry if your team will be missing players for the tournament or looking for a challenge or losing every game during the season as an example.
Classic grade –- Only available for those teams who have also entered for the National Junior Classic. Please contact Nunawading stadium regarding how to enter our tournament as an alternative if a place in the Classic is not achieved –. We work very closely with the Classic organizers and will not finalize those entries until final details are received from Basketball Victoria.
– A grade – suits VC, high VJL 1, SA Div 1, NSW Div 1
– A Reserve grade – suits Lower VJL 1, SA Div 1, NSW Div 1 and Qld Div 1
– B1 grade – suits VJL 2, high VJL 3, high SA Div 2 and will be sorted into various pools depending on the amount of entries
– B2 grade – suits VJL 3, VJL 4, NSW Div 2 and SA Div 2
– B3 grade –suits VJL 5 and high VJL6 teams (formerly East 1, North 1) and will be sorted into various pools depending on the amount of entries
– C grade – will be sorted into C1,2,3 and 4 grades and various pools depending on the amount and grade of entries suits VJL 6 – 10, SA & NSW Div 3 and lower as well as lower grade domestic teams.
Under 10 –This competition is designed for players new to basketball. Suits only very young development or low skilled domestic players – not currently playing rep or very lowest grade with no wins.
If you require more information please call Lyn Payet Tournament Director on 0401 156 204 (best on Wednesday, Thursday Friday anytime or after business hours on Monday and Tuesday) or email email@example.com.
How much is stadium entry?
Your team has paid an entry fee for the tournament and that fee covers the cost of the stadium entry for everyone. You can bring Grandma, Grandpa or any one your want too and it will not cost you a cent for them to get in. You could help us by purchasing a raffle ticket but that’s only if you want to. It’s not compulsory.
Our team may make Classic, what should I do?
Teams who have also entered for the Classic are invited to enter our tournament as a backstop (don’t forget to inform us in the notes if you are potentially playing in the Classic). We understand that quite often airfares and accommodation have been booked in the hope of Classic selection. For those teams who do not make it we offer a very high level competition as an alternative.
What time does the tournament end on the Monday?
Grand finals will conclude by 3pm on the Monday. Interstate teams booking flights should book an evening flight to allow enough time to get to the airport.
How many games does each team play?
We guarantee a minimum of 5 games but most teams usually play at least 6
When are the games played?
The tournament commences on the Saturday at 8:00am and concludes each night at 10:30pm. Semi Finals if required commence on the Sunday night or early Monday morning followed by Grand Finals on Monday.
I am a referee and would like to referee in the tournament, who should I contact?
We are always on the look-out for refs and interstate refs who may be coming over with family members. Just send us an email firstname.lastname@example.org and the Referee Supervisor will follow up.
I’m registering a player into the system but it’s different to what I’m used too. Is there any help?
In Victoria we are now using a system called PlayHQ. Your team organiser would have received a Player Participation Link which you must use to register into the team. Please contact the team organiser for access. Instructions on how to create a PlayHQ profile can be located here https://support.playhq.com/hc/en-au/articles/900003189223-Signing-up-to-PlayHQ .
We are only a domestic club, can we enter the tournament?
Yes you can. Any teams that meet the age criteria may enter.
When will the fixture be released?
There are 600+ teams conmpeting. To get it right we need time. It is a very large complex process which is not easy. Please do not hassle us, you will only be delaying its release. We anticipate to have the fixture available by 5:00pm Wednesday prior to the event. If it is any earlier we will contact you, if it is any later we will let you know.
I need to register an extra/my player, but didn’t receive a link. How do I do this?
When the team is registered the team organiser receives a confirmation email which contains a Player Participation link which can be forwarded to you and used to register the player to the team.
If you are the team orgainser and have lost your Player Participation link please contact us via email so we can reissue it.
What is the age criteria?
Players are eligible to play in an “Under Age” grade provided they do not turn that age in 2022.
I need to withdraw my team from the tournament and have paid my team entry. Do I receive a refund?
You will receive a full refund minus the PlayHQ payment gateway fee if you withdraw your team before the closing date. However if you withdraw your team after the closing date we will only return 50% of your team entry fee. If you withdraw your team from the competition after May 29 there will be no refund. When requesting a refund please be sure to send us an email with your team name, grade, your name and your bank account details so we can promptly send the money back to you.
I’m an interstate team, do my players need to pay the Basketball Victoria License fee to play?
Please note playing basketball in Victoria including any tournament held in Victoria players must now hold a valid Basketball Victoria License. This includes all interstate based players coming to play.
In order to have the Basketball Victoria License fee waived for interstate player we will provide you a discount voucher in early June and I will also provide you with an individual team link for each team. Just pass the voucher and team link onto each player’s parents and they can create a PlayHQ account for themselves and self-register their child.
- TOURNAMENT MERCHANDISE PRE-ORDER FORM
PRE-ORDERS HAVE NOW CLOSED
- ACCOMMODATION AT QUEST BURWOOD EAST
Book your accommodation for this years (and next) Queen’s Birthday Weekend with our wonderful partners at Quest Burwood East and Quest Mont Albert.
Offering a range of accommodation styles to best suit your needs.
To access fixtures and results please follow the link below.
Junior Spectres Queen’s Birthday Tournament Fixtures (Link will activate when fixtures are available)
- ABRIDGED RULES
Nunawading Spectres Junior Basketball Tournament
Abridged Tournament Rules 2022
(A full set of rules is available at each venue)
1. Under age as at 31st December in the year the Tournament is held – Club Representative to verify ages of Club Entries.
2. Players are restricted to playing in one (1) age group only. The Tournament Committee shall in exceptional circumstances waive this condition if prior approval is applied for.
3. Any number of players may be nominated to represent a Club in a particular team but only ten (10) players are able to play in any one game. .As per VJBL rules Under 18 competition may have twelve (12) players who are able to play in any one game. If more than 10 names (12 for Under 18 only) are listed on the score sheet then those not playing need to be crossed out.
As per rule 13: In all minor games, a player who takes the court must be signed in on the scoresheet by marking ‘X in the ‘ player in ‘ column.
4. Players must play in at least three minor round games to qualify for Semi and Grand Finals. The Tournament Committee shall in exceptional circumstances waive this condition if prior approval is applied for.
5. TEAM QUALIFICATION – The Tournament Committee may limit participants in teams in a particular competition to non – championship players, or players who have gained exemption. Any player who is selected for the Melbourne Classic is not permitted to play in these competitions, playing of an undeclared championship player or disapproved player shall lead to forfeit of games concerned..
6. Grand finals can be played on the Monday up to a 3.00 PM finish and no team will qualify for a semi-final if they are unable to play in the Grand Final. Please note you need to allow at least one & half hours prior to departure check in for any interstate flights after completion of the game and presentations.
7. TIMING RULES/LADDERS:
• Three points will be given for a win, two for a draw, one for a loss, and none for a forfeit. Forfeit score will be 20-0.
• For minor games and lead up Finals, the clock shall only stop during the last two minutes of the second half and this will be for all whistles.
• NO time outs are allowed in the last three minutes of the first half.
• Time outs are allowed during the last two minutes of the second half at which time the clock will stop.
• All minor games AND semi finals shall have two eighteen minute halves. Half time interval will be 2 minutes and time outs shall be of 1 minute duration maximum.
• Each team is allowed 1 time out per half for minor games and 2 time outs per half for finals.
8. GRAND FINALS
Grand Finals, shall have two eighteen minute halves and the clock will stop for all time outs. As well, during the last two minutes of the second half, the clock will stop for all whistles.
9. FINALS and LADDERS:
Three points will be given for a win, two for a draw, one for a loss, and zero for a forfeit.
Draws will be recognized in all minor rounds.
Finals – If scores are level at the end of the game, an extra 3 minutes will be played after a one minute break, to achieve a result. All fouls stand. 1 time out for each team is allowed. Clock will stop for all whistles in the last minute.
Any subsequent extra periods will follow the same rule to achieve a result.
If two teams finish on equal points then the results of the games played against each other ie. the win / loss record will decide their positions. (Head to Head) as per normal VJBL rules
Where three or more teams finish on equal points their order shall be determined by the “For and Against” percentage of the games played between the teams concerned.
If two of the three teams finish on equal percentage, then the result of the games played against each other ie. the win / loss record will decide their positions.
In a competition of 8 or more teams, where teams do not all play each other, the order will be determined by points first then overall percentage. If teams affected have played each other their order shall be determined by the “For and Against” percentage of the games played between the teams concerned. Where three or more teams finish on equal points and any have not played each other then percentage overall will be used.
In the case of disputes, the matter will be referred to the Disputes Chairperson.
10. GRAND FINALS
• During Grand Finals, the clock will stop for all time outs. As well, during the last two minutes of the second half, the clock will stop for all whistles.
• Each team is allowed 2 time outs per half.
11. Except where specified, all matches will normally be played under current F.I.B.A. Rules.
The size 5 ball will be used for all U10 and U12 games
The size 6 ball will be used for all Girls/Womens games and under 14 boys teams
12.There is NO 24 second shot clock for any games.
13. In all minor games, a player who takes the court must be signed in on the scoresheet by marking ‘X in the ‘ player in ‘ column.
14. The first half shall begin with a jumpball. In all other jumpball situations, possession shall be given to the team as indicated by the possession arrow.
15. All teams shall have a principal colour singlet and an alternate, both sets of colours must be described on the application form and be available for use at the tournament. The priority of use shall be that the first named (home team) in a game in the fixture shall be entitled to wear their principal singlets.
16. The Tournament Disputes Committee will adjudicate all disputes. These may be reported by referees, coaches or club officials. A “Protest Form” is available from the “Tournament Operations Centre” Nunawading Stadium, and must be lodged with the “Centre” immediately and accompanied by $50.00 bond fully refundable provided the matter is not deemed trivial.
17. FIRST AID / AMBULANCE POLICY.
First Aid and/or medical treatment will be the responsibility of the individual concerned and/or the individuals parent/guardian or team supervisor.
The nearest hospital to each stadium will be displayed at each stadium.
Where the request that an Ambulance is needed to take a player to hospital, the club the player is playing for will be responsible for any ambulance and hospital costs associated with treatment etc.
18. All Stadiums used during this Tournament have a rule of “No swinging on rings or nets” and imposes an immediate ban from the stadium and immediate disqualification from all stadiums for the remainder of the Tournament.
19. Playing numbers 00 – 99 are accepted.
20. SCORING Home team ( 1st named) will usually do the clock and Away team will do the sheet. Scorers can work this out between themselves but if a dispute arises, this rule will enforced.
21. ZONE DEFENCE – UNDER 10, 12, 14 GAMES – Zone defence is discouraged in Under 10, 12 and 14 games. Teams should use ‘ man to man ‘ defence throughout the games except where shown in the Under 10 Mercy Rule.
22. MERCY RULE ALL UNDER 10 GAMES – IF HELD – The Mercy Rule will apply when a team has a 15 points lead. It is compelled to use zone defense within the three-point lines.
- REGISTER TO REFERREE
Spectres Tournament – Stadium and Medical Directory
Check the venue information. This will be updated with more courts if we exceed our expected number of entries this year. All venues are within 30 minute travel distance from Nunawading Stadium.
Confirmed Venues for 2022
- Aqualink Box Hill
- Casey Stadium
- Forest Hill College
- Kilsyth Basketball Stadium
- Knox Basketball Stadium
- Knox School
- Donvale Indoor Sports Centre
- Mullauna College
- Mullum Mullum Stadium
- Nunawading Basketball Centre
- Rowville Secondary College
- The Rings
- Waverley Basketball Stadium
- CLUB SINGLET COLOURS
Accelerate Warriors – Orange Hills Hornets – Dark Green Penrith Panthers – Black/Teal Altona Gators – Purple Hobart Chargers – Light Blue Port Stars United – Black Armidale Lions – White Hornsby Spiders – White/Green QLD – Maroon Ashwood Wolves – Dark Green Hurricanes – Navy Ringwood – Green Auckland Kiwis – Black and White Inner West Bulls – Black Rowville Rockets – Red Australian Boomerangs – Green/Yellow Ivanhoe Darebin Knights – Royal Blue Sandringam – Orange Batemans Bay Breakers – Teal Keilor Thunder – Black SEDA – White Bendigo Braves – Royal Blue & Yellow Keysborough Cougars – Light Grey Sherbrooke – Yellow Blackburn Vikings – Orange Kilsyth Cobras – Black South Adelaide – White Blacktown Storm – Dark Purple/Gold Kingston Caviliers – Dark Green Southern Peninsula – Royal Blue Brisbane Capitals – Blue Knox Raiders – Gold Southern Tigers – Black and Gold Broadmeadows Broncos – Royal Blue Lakes Entrance Pelicans – Teal St Fidelis Kangaroos – Black/Red Bulleen Boomers – Royal Blue & Yellow Latrobe Energy – Black/Orange St George – White Burnie North West – Yellow Limestone Coast – Teal Sutherland Sharks – Sky Blue Camberwell Dragons – Burgundy Maccabi – Light Blue Sutherland Sharks – Sky Blue Cape Henry – Red Maffra Eagles – Red Sydney Comets – Gold Casey Caviliers – Navy/Silver Manly Warringah – Maroon/White The Comets – Dark Grey/Black Central District Lions – Royal Blue Marymede – Royal Blue The Hurricanes – Navy Chelsea Gulls – Royal Blue McKinnon Cougars – Maroon The Rellis – Navy Collingwood All-Stars – White Melbourne Magic – Navy TLS Lynx – Red Corio Bay Stingrays – White Melbourne Tigers – Red Traralgon T-Birds – Maroon Craigieburn Eagles – Brown/White Millicent Magic – Charcoal Grey Unknowns – Black Craigieburn Killer Bees – Black/Yellow Moe Meteors – Blue/Yellow/Maroon Vermont Vultures – Black Dandenong Rangers – Dark Green Mornington Breakers – Purple Vic Metro I.D. – Navy Blue Darebin Giants – Light Blue Morwell Magic – Black VCCS – Navy Devils – Black N/W TAS – Navy Blue Wagga Heat – Royal Blue Diamond Valley Eagles – White – Red North Adelaide Rockets – White Warragul Warriors – Black Doncaster – Dark Green North West Thunder – Navy Warrandyte – Maroon Donvale Dunkers – Light Blue Northern Suburbs – Red Waverley Falcons – Bottle Green Eastern Mavericks – Grey Northern Tas – Red Werribee Devils – Yellow Eltham Wildcats – Red Norths Bears – Red West Adelaide Bearcats – Red Flemington – Red Norwood Flames – Navy Blue Western Magic – White Forestville Eagles – Royal Blue Nunawading Spectres – Royal Blue Western Port – Yellow Frankston Blues – Light Blue Oakleigh Warriors – Royal Blue Westgate Imperials – Red Geelong Supercats- Navy Pakenham Warriors – Blue/Yellow Whittlesea Pacers – Black Glebe Spirit – Lime Green/Black Parkdale – White/Teal Wonthaggi Coasters – Light Blue Gold Coast Heat – Red Peninsula Bobcats AllStars – Navy/Orange Woodville Warriors – Dark Green Hawthorn Magic – Royal Blue Peninsula Hot Shots – Navy
- CONTACT US
Contact Name: Lyn Payet
Email Address: email@example.com
Phone number: 0401 156 204
- NBL 1
- Big V+U20
- Queens Birthday Tournament
- Sports Physiotherapy & Athletic Development